Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Remain in Me

 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.” -John 15:91-10

Before school started, we had an official Family Meeting. We typed up an agenda and printed one for each attendee. It included topics such as being responsible, setting priorities, having a good attitude, and choices having consequences.  The boys got to add their own topics of concern and discussion as well.


Our goal was to have a set apart time to do a general life check-in as a family before the boys headed back to school. And it worked. There were tears and laughter. We talked about attitudes, friends, conflicts, worries, hopes, and more. 


Now remain in my love.


Ok, but how, Jesus? 


If I were to explain the concept of “remaining” to my children, it would pretty much be exactly what we did. Continue to come to me with all your questions. Process life with me. Let me be your safe place where you can bring your worries. Take my wisdom and live it out. And then do what I suggest is best. 


Do my children do this perfectly? Not by a long shot.


Neither do we. But we keep coming back. 


Jesus what do you think?

Jesus what are you doing here?

Jesus what am I supposed to do here? 


And in this process, He loves us with an infinite and everlasting love, one that cannot be erased by our mistakes or imperfections. A love that forgives and brings us back again. The same love the Father has for Jesus, Jesus has for us. 


I recently heard it said that we should stop calling our time with Jesus a “discipline” or “devotional time,” but instead we should call it a “lover’s ritual.” Reading, listening, and practicing the presence of God should be anything but dry disciplines. They are lover’s rituals, bringing us together in perfect harmony. 


Therefore, may Jesus be your safe place where you process life and find the next step on the path of light.

May your couches and homes be warm safe places where holy conversations can happen.

May you remain in Him, today and always. 


No comments:

Post a Comment