Sunday, April 1, 2012

Adventures of Little Theo

Little Theo is a lot of fun
right now.

He is curious.

He is asserting his independence.

He wants to do everything on his own.

He has moved from the crib to the big-boy bed.

He is all boy, and prefers sticks, stems, and rocks to toys.

He thinks he is the boss. Of everything.

The best place for him to be is outside, in wide open spaces where he can wander fre
ely.

His will is strong. He has an impeccable ability to anticipate approaching conflict. If he even gets a hint, if something in the air even remotely suggests that I might possibly be about to tell him what to do, he is already fighting before the words come out of my mouth.

I am really trying to only pick the battles I feel are necessary. We are already in perpetual conflict, there is no want to add to it. Sometimes, though, there are those moments where I know, I
just know that I know, that I MUST win a battle. Dig the heels in. Here was a good one:

Theo, go to the table to eat dinner!
NO!
Dinner time, go to the table!
NO!

Theodore, come to the table right now!
NO NO NO NO!
Okay Theo, you can sit in the chair until you decide to come to the table for dinner.


So he sat
in the chair.
And sat.
Ready to come
to the table?
NO!
Your ham and cheese is waiting for you!
NO!


Tears. Screeching. More tears.
Nonchalantly sliding off the chair.
Coming to the table?
NO NO NO!
Tears and back into the chair.


This went on for OVER AN HOUR until finally, spirit broken, eyes red and tear-filled, he climbed out of the chair, looked at me, took my hand, and made his way to the table for dinner. I won. And I look forward to many more wins.



I try to be sympathetic. It's hard to be a two year-old.

It's also hard to be a tough mom.

I love our tug-of-war relationship.





















4 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO AMY!
    Keep up the winning! It will make for less conflict down the road...
    that's the theory anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is huge, Amy. Good for you, and good for Theo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmm....he reminds me of someone I know. He will be an interesting teenager, my dear. You are a tough Mom, one filled with much love for her boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last picture of little Theo the tough guy, headed back to his corner for round 2!

    ReplyDelete